Bree Purganan is a Filipino-American nurse, homemaker, and entrepreneur who is famous for being the mother of basketball player and NBA star Jalen Green. Being a former athlete herself who used to play soccer and basketball and also took part in cross-country races, she encouraged her son a lot to pursue his career in sports. She is living with her current husband, Marcus Green (Jalen’s stepfather), and her three children, Raquel Purganan, Jurnee Tyra (daughters), and AJ Johnson (son).
Bree was born in Ilocos Sur, Philipines, into a well-settled family and raised there until her family relocated to California from the Philippines. She has two brothers (one of them named Josh Bass) and a sister. Since her childhood, Bree has been interested in the medical field, and she has made a good name for herself as a nurse. She supports the American Cancer Society and raises money to help the cause by creating awareness among people.
|Nurse, Home Maker and Entrepreneur
|Mother of Jalen Green
|Age (as in 2023)
|California, United States
|Place of Birth
|Ilocos sur, Phillipines
|Filipino - American
|Mixed (Asian Descent)
|Physical Stats & More
|in feet inches - 5 '5"
in centimeters - 165 cm
in meters - 1.65 m
|in kilograms - 60 kg
in pounds - 132 lbs
|Family, Relationship & More
|Father: will be updated
Mother: Julia Durbin
|Brother: Josh Bass
Sister:Kristie Purganon Canon
Jalen Green and
|$ 1-2 Million
|On Facebook: Bree Purg
Bree Purganan gave birth to their first son, Jalen Green, on February 9, 2002, in Merced, California, and moved to Fresno, California, with her son when he was in third grade. Later, he finished his high school career at Prolific Prep in Napa, California, and he chose to follow his career in sports.
Jalen started professional matches in 2017 when he debuted as an Under-16 player from the American team. He also played for the American Under-17 team the following year in the FIBA World Cup championship. Their team stood unbeaten throughout the Championships, securing the first position.
Green has won three gold medals and was named Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the 2018 FIBA Under-17 World Cup. They also won the FIBA U19 World Cup in 2019. He also represented the Philippines in the 2021-22 NBA Draft. Now, Jalen Green is known for playing as a shooting guard in the Houston Rockets of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
While talking about her son, Bree Purganan said, “I tell him to focus and not get discouraged. It takes time, and it’s a learning process. I’m very proud. Words can’t express how proud I am of him. He’s done so well. He worked so hard.”
She advised other parents on parenting and career about their kids, saying, “Don’t force them. Just let it come naturally. If it’s something they’re really interested in, support them 100 percent. Let them know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication if they want to succeed,” she said.
Bree has a long and successful career as a businesswoman and founded NGOs like Safe Kids Worldwide (that works to make schools safer for kids), Teach for America (that provides talented college graduates with the opportunity to teach in underserved schools in the US) and “I’m A Witness” program, which encourages kids to speak up when they see something bad happening in school. She is currently a successful personal trainer at a gym.
According to sources, when Bree Purganan was just 10 years old, she lost her parents in a car accident and was left to fend for herself. She started working at a fast-food restaurant when she was just 12 years old and eventually moved on to become an actress but faced many challenges along the way. The biggest is she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in 2013.
Despite the odds, she fought the cancer bravely and completed her treatment in 2015. Now, she creates awareness about breast cancer using her foundation, Brees Foundation for Breast Cancer Research.
Some Interesting Facts About Bree Purganan
- Bree Purganan’s son Jalen has been in a romantic relationship with a model named Breah Hicks since July 2021.
- He was a CIF Central Section Rookie of the Year and a MaxPreps All-Freshman. He was also awarded the National Sophomore of the Year and the Central Division II Champion.
- Filipino fans were eager to watch young Jalen on the floor at the 2018 National Basketball Training Centre National League for Filipino Sports in Manila. They referred to him as their “Idol in the Tagalog language.” Though he is an American, he also wants to represent the Philippines because of his Filipino ancestors.
- Bree’s first child, Racquel, was married to Steven Tuckner in 2019 and blessed with a son named Liam. She runs her own business selling custom apparel. Jurnee Tyra is the second daughter and first child with her current husband. She was born on 17 February 2011.
- Marcus (Bree’s husband) played basketball at Washington Union High School in Fresno, and the NBA player Deshawn Stevenson was his teammate in high school.