Y.S. Vijayalakshmi (Alias Y.S. Vijaya Rajasekhara Reddy), fondly called as Vijayamma by the masses is a home maker turned Indian politician who served as former MLA for Pulivendla constituency.
She is the current chairperson of the YSR Congress Party and the mother of 17th Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy. She is also wife of the Indian politician Y. S. Rajashekhara Reddy, popularly known as YSR, the late Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
|Name||Yeduguri Sandinti Vijaya Lakshmi|
|Political Party||Yuvajana Sramika Raithu Congress (YSR Congress)
|Date of Birth||19 April 1956|
|Age (as in 2021)||65|
|Birth Place||Cheemalalavagupalli (Anantapur), Andhra Pradesh|
|Address||Address: R/O 3-9-77 Bakarapuram, Pulivendula (Town & Mandal) YSR District|
|Relationship & More|
|Parents||Father - P Ramanujula Reddy
Mother - P Tulasamma
|Husband/Spouse||Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy
|Children||Son - Y.S, Jagan Mohan Reddy
Daughter - Sharmila Reddy
|Assets/Properties|| Movable: 1.74 Crores
Cash: ₹17 Lakhs
Bank Deposits: 71 Lakhs
Bonds & Shares : 35 Lakhs
Immovable: 45.31 Lakhs
Residential Building in Idupulapaya, Vempally Mandal, Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh worth ₹ 27 Lakhs
Residential Building in Pulivendula, Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh worth ₹17 Lakhs
Y.S. Vijayamma was hardly seen in any public forums along with her husband. But she was forced into politics to counter the vindictive practices by the then ruling Congress party against her son Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy after her husband’s demise.
The Congress high command provoked their own family member Y.S. Vivekananda Reddy, against Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy to threaten him politically.
So, She quit the Congress party and assembly membership along with her son on 29 Nov 2010 who also quit both the party and his MP seat and formed a new party called YSR Congress Party on 12 March 2011.
Some Interesting Facts about Y.S. Vijayamma
- Vijayamma participated in an indefinite fast during Samaikyandhra agitation demanding the Government of India to keep Andhra Pradesh united.
- When she married to Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy, he was then still pursuing his medical career.
- She went on hunger strikes a number of times protesting on various anti- govt policies like hike in power tariffs, the Government’s reluctance to release funds towards fee reimbursement of college students etc.
- Vijayamma encouraged YSR to take up several pro-farmer and pro-poor people decisions when he ruled the state as Chief Minister from 2004 to 2009.
- She also wrote a book named “Naalo Naatho YSR”.
In the absence of her son Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy, she campaigned along with her daughter Smt. Y.S. Sharmila Reddy and guided the YSR Congress Party to an unprecedented victory in the June 2012 by-polls in which their party won 15 of the 18 assembly seats for which the polls were held.